I don't know why, at the start of every summer, I make lists of what we're going to do. I always peter out after a few weeks. At least it's happened enough years in a row that I now think of that at the beginning of summer: "I'd better do this stuff right away, since I always peter out after a few weeks." And fortunately, some of the stuff I do right away is signing the kids up for things like swimming lessons, so then I HAVE to follow through.
I'm looking forward to school starting, but I'm dreading the start of school:
• A million pieces of paperwork to fill out (WHY CAN WE NOT JUST CORRECT THE OLD FORMS?? WHY MUST I FILL IN ALL THE INFORMATION EVERY YEAR, FOR ALL FIVE CHILDREN, AND WHY IS MOST OF THE SAME INFORMATION NEEDED ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT FORMS?? AND COULDN'T I DO THIS ONLINE, WITH CONNECTED PROFILES SO INFO CAN COPY OVER FROM KID TO KID?? OTHER SCHOOLS ARE PWNING US ON THIS!!)
• A whole bunch of open houses to go to, each held at a weird and/or inconvenient time ("Let's see, this one's from 2:00-3:00 on a Wednesday; this one's 5:30-6:30 on Thursday, these two are both at the same time on Monday, this one is an ice cream social at 5:00 in the afternoon...")
• The massive pile of school supplies to be divided into five piles using non-parallel school supply lists ("Let's see, YOU needed TWO binders and FOUR folders and an eraser and a box of pencils and two boxes of crayons, and YOU needed two erasers and ONE folder and three boxes of pencils and a pencil box and FIVE binders, and somehow I have eight packs of highlighters I don't need...")
• And EVERY SINGLE PIECE LABELED WITH A CHILD'S NAME
• The papers from each teacher specifying VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION I will need to put on the calendar and/or put on the shopping list and/or still be able to find in six weeks and/or sign and send back with a check, and all the gym days when different kids will need sneakers, and all the school picture dates/forms to handle ("Package A doesn't have a size I need; Package B has a size I don't need; Package C is way too expensive..."), and the particular ways that particular teacher wants communications/forms handled
• Also at least one sheet saying "Oh, you know that school supply list that got sent out? You don't need any of that, and please don't send it, and please send everything on THIS list instead, even though all the school supplies are sold out by now and I have extremely particular requirements on brand, color, material, and size!"
• And many sheets will not have the teacher's name or the grade anywhere on them, so I will have to make sure I know which child just handed it to me before that child runs off and doesn't know what I'm talking about when I ask
• And oh, crud, have I seen a bus schedule yet?
Shopping ideas for summer fun - Normally this time of year I’m buying a batch of Summer Survival Gear Treats. I like to buy a new CD for the driving back and forth to lessons and camp; a ...